Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make an application for a school place?

Contact the school office. Details of the Primary School Admissions policy is available on the Wigan Council website.

Where can I order school uniform from?

Uniform with our new logo can now be ordered from Impressions on High Street, Golborne.  You can also continue to order school uniform through our existing uniform providers, Slaters ((based in Wigan), Jaymax (based in Leigh) and Tesco Direct (online).

What can I purchase from the school office?

Water bottles, school bags, school caps, tickets for plays/concerts.

How much are school dinners and how do I pay for them? 

Currently £2.15 per meal, paid weekly upfront on Mondays and sent in a clearly marked envelope.

School Menu

Can my child learn to play a musical instrument in school? 

Wigan Council music teachers visit school and offer lessons in recorder and other woodwind instruments, guitar, violin, keyboard, piano and more. Lessons cost £5.10 per session and must be paid for in advance. Bills are sent half termly in advance and payment should be sent in a labelled envelope directly to class. Lessons missed due to pupil absence must still be paid for, but lessons missed due to school trips or music teacher absence will be reimbursed or re-scheduled.

I would like my child to have toast at morning break, how do I pay for this?

Currently 15 pence per slice, paid weekly upfront on Mondays and sent in a clearly marked envelope.

What do I do if my child is absent from school? 

Please ring the school office before 9.30am on the first day of sickness stating the child’s name, class and reason for absence. Alternatively you can e-mail

What do I do if my child has sickness and/or diarrhoea? 

Keep your child off school. Your child must only return to school 24 hours after the last episode of sickness/diarrhoea. This is the advice given by the Health Protection Agency to avoid the spread of infection.

Will school staff administer medication to my child?

We will, only if the parent has been to the school office and completed a medicine form.

What is the ‘CallParents’ texting service used for? 

It is used to inform all parents of school closures and events. Therefore it is very important that the first two contacts on your child’s data collection sheets are kept up to date.

Is there a lost property box in school?

Yes there is, located in the Key Stage 1 entrance from the playground.

What do I need to do if I am not able to collect my child as usual?

As soon as you are aware that you will not be able to collect your child as usual, please telephone the school office to advise. Please DO NOT email this information as it may not be checked in time.

How can I find out if the school is open during bad weather?

Check on the website. If you have not heard from us by letter or text message, assume the school is open. In severe weather, when staff cannot get into school, the website will always display up-to-date information. We will also use the CallParents service as another method to inform parents.

If my child is in School Nursery, will they automatically get a place in Reception?

No, this does not automatically entitle your child to a place in Reception. They will still be part of the Local Authority selection process.

Who do I speak to if I have concerns about my child’s progress?

The best person for you to speak to is the child’s class teacher. Open communication between home and the class teacher always has a positive impact. If you have any further concerns, you may wish to make an appointment to see a senior member of staff.

What should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

Speak to the class teacher to discuss your concerns. They will be able to discuss what progress your child is making and any additional support that can be offered. The teacher will discuss this further and seek the advice from our Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator.

What should I do if I think my child is being bullied?

We take bullying very seriously. Immediately speak with your child’s class teacher to discuss your concerns. If you believe that the situation is continuing, please book an appointment to see Mr Hunt. Most importantly, please encourage your child to speak to an adult at school whenever they feel in need of help.

What time does school start?

The school gates open at 8:30am.  We would encourage children to be in the school playground from 8:45am to avoid lateness and the stresses this can bring. School will start at 8:55am, when the bell will ring for the children to come in from the playground.  If children arrive after 8:55am, they must enter school using the main entrance, where they will be greeted by a member of staff who will ensure they are signed in at the time of arrival.  If children arrive after 9:05am, they will be marked in with an ‘Authorised Late (L)’ and after 9:25am, they will be marked in with an ‘Unauthorised Late (U)’.

Can I park at the school?

We do not have car parking facilities on site. The school is situated on residential roads and we ask parents to park legally and with due consideration for our neighbours.

What should I put in my child’s packed lunch?

We encourage healthy eating and expect parents to choose healthily when creating a packed lunch.

An example of a healthy packed lunch:

A sandwich (no peanut butter).

No crisps except baked snacks eg. Baked crisps, Cheddars.

A wafer biscuit e.g. Twix, Kit Kat, Blue Ribband.

Yoghurt and a piece of fruit.

Bottle of water or juice.

No sweets, fizzy drinks, nuts or chocolate (unless covering a wafer/biscuit).

What do I do if my child has lost a piece of clothing?

Parents must either sew a name label into all clothing or write the child’s name in indelible ink. If an item goes missing, your child must inform the class teacher and class learning support assistant and look in the lost property. We will do our utmost to find lost items, but we are unable to provide a replacement.

Can my child bring toys into school?

No, we normally discourage toys or collectables (e.g. football cards) being brought to school, unless the class teacher has specifically requested that they do. Please always check with the class teacher.

Can I receive the newsletter by email?

Yes, the school office will e-mail the newsletter weekly to those parents who have opted for this service on the Emergency Contact form.

When is the best time to talk to the teacher if I have a question?

We would discourage parents from trying to talk to a teacher in the morning as they are busy preparing for the school day. We would advise you to speak to the teacher at the end of the school day, after all the children have been dismissed. We can also make appointments in the school office for parents to see the class teacher or another member of staff.

Is there before and after school provision?

We have opened our brand new ‘Out of School Club’ on 10th January 2017, with places available for the ‘Before School Club’ and the ‘After School Club’.  Please see our ‘Out of School Club’ webpage for more information.